MIPIM 2016 Day 3
Identifying risks and reaping rewards in the current cycle
On Thursday I didn’t manage to attend as many talks as the previous days – it seemed the schedule had slowed down and was clearer comparable to the previous two days. While at the London Stand I did manage to catch a brief discussion on ‘Identifying risks and reaping rewards in the current cycle’ where representatives from The Crown Estate, BNP Paribas, Schroder UK Real Estate Fund and Standard Life debated the level of risk in London at present and whether it is affecting investment into new developments.
James Cooksey from The Crown Estate believes that in the present climate investors are looking to add value to their current portfolio rather than going out and investing new capital in new projects. Simon Durkin form BNP Paribas looks at it slightly differently in that he believes with a volatile market there is the possibility for new opportunity but did stress that any venture would be met with caution.
The discussion was summed up well by Damian Wild from the Estates Gazette who said that the market is currently in a risky state but there is reason for great optimism so long as we tread carefully.
MIPIM 2016 Awards
I wasn’t able (or invited!) to attend the ceremony on Thursday 17th for the MIPIM 2016 Awards but I was eager to find out the winners first thing the next day. I’d like to end my round-up with a summary of the winners from the night and to say congratulations to all those that participated.
- Best Healthcare Development – Queen Elizabeth University Hospital & Royal Hopsital for Children. Glasgow, Scotland
- Best Hotel and Tourism Resort – JW Marriott Venice Resort and Spa. Venice, Italy
- Best Industrial and Logistics Development – ELI Beamlines. Prague, Czech Republic
- Best Innovative Green Building – Treurenberg. Brussels, Belgium
- Best Office and Business Development - #CLOUD.PARIS. Paris, France
- Best Refurbished Building – Papillon. Dusseldorf, Germany
- Best Residential Development – Katscha. Norrkoping, Sweden
- Best Shopping Centre – Les Docks Village. Marseille, France
- Best Urban Regeneration Project – Crossrail Place. London, United Kingdom
- Best Futura Project – Paradis Express. Leige, Belgium
- Best Futura Mega Project – DUO-PARIS: Taking urban sensations to new heights. Paris, France
- Peoples Choice Award – Shanghai Tower. Shanghai, China